The new and improved Goodtextures website has been running very nicely since going live in July of last year. Over that period, quite a few people have very kindly uploaded and shared their excellent textures and knowledge in the form of a tutorial. For that I am very thankful.
There are still quite a number of things I would like to improve with the website, hence my attempt to gain funds through the Donate page in order to speed up the whole process. As I really do plan on using any donations for developement purposes and not on some personal spending binge, I have decided to list some of the changes below I feel would greatly improve the usability of the site. If anyone has got any tips or ideas that I have not yet thought of, please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org and I will be mega thankful for any input.
1. Include Substance Painter and Designer PBR materials/graph formats for download. As Substance materials comprise of several different maps, It would be perfect to be able to download all of these materials in one single package. That will hopefully include Unity and Unreal texture maps as well.
2. The category listing section which you can see from the upload page is currently all over the place. By that I mean it is not in any order alphabetically or otherwise. I would like to get that sorted out as fast as possible and make it easier to see and find any given category.
3. I would like to add some kind of lightbox or basket function. By that I mean giving people the opportunity of adding textures to a basket for example which contains all of your selected images. Once you are happy with what you have got, you would then have the choice of downloading each image individually or as a single package.
4. Enable internal private comunication between Users.
5. An interactive viewer within your account enabling you to change the order of your images.
6. Support for more image formats such as TGA and PSD etc.
I am very proud to announce that the new and improved Goodtextures website went live on the 6th July 2017.
Along with its fancy new design and user interface, the new website has been given added functionality enabling all Users to upload and share their textures/images. The previous goodtextures website had a daily download quota of 50 textures per 24 hours, which has now been completely removed. It is also possible to download a smaller version of any texture without having to create an account beforehand. These down scaled images have however a tiny wee watermark located in the bottom right corner. Once you have signed up to the site, the watermark is no longer there, and you wil be able to download textures in their full resolution.
I have been contemplating for some time now whether or not to integrate a Creative Commons license to the site. Goodtextures.com is about sharing after all, and all the different Creative Commons licenses available is a great thing. The only thing holding me back at the moment is the section about derivative work, their uses and distribution of said work. I am fine with people downloading textures and using them for either commercial or non commercial purposes. The emphasis here being, that the textures are used for something, be it part of a website background, computer game asset or whatever your imagination can concoct. I am against people just taking the textures and hard work of others as is, only to post them or sell them as a texture pack for example. It kind of feels like cheating and is not fair to the original owner/creator. I intend to get in touch with the CC people and ask them about it.
As with the last goodtextures website, this site has not changed its core goals or aims in the slightest. Goodtextures.com is about sharing textures, ideas and knowledge free of charge with the global CG community. The difference here being, that I would like to extend my hand and encourage like minded artists to upload and share their own textures/images. This is of course completely optional. If you just want to download textures for your work, that is absolutely fine as well.
I would love to be able to incorporate some kind of reward system to everyone who decides to share their work here. Unfortunately that is currently not possible. Apart from my heartfelt thanks, there is no mechanism in place to do so. Should the funding present itself, I would invest it to build and add more and more functionality to the site. Some kind of tier reward system would be good.
On a last note, I hope you enjoy your visit to goodtextures.com and hope you find something of use for your work/projects.